Protecting Your Identity and Safeguarding Your Account
Aug 25, 2023
In today's digital age, where technology offers convenience at our fingertips, it's crucial to remain vigilant against threats that seek to compromise our personal information and financial security. Rally Credit Union is committed to ensuring the safety of our members' accounts, and that's why we're sharing essential tips to help you protect yourself against text scams, safeguard your identity, and secure your debit card.
Recognizing Legitimate Communications
At Rally Credit Union, your security is paramount. We may occasionally send you text alerts regarding your account, but it's important to know that these legitimate alerts will always come from the number 37268. Should you receive a text from this number, rest assured it's an authentic communication from us. Learn More
Guarding Against Phishing Scams
Phishing scams have become increasingly sophisticated, targeting individuals through various means, including text messages, emails, and phone calls. One common approach scammers take is to impersonate familiar entities, like financial institutions or well-known merchants. It's vital to remember that Rally Credit Union will never ask you to share sensitive information, such as account numbers, social security numbers, or PINs, via text, email, or phone call. If someone contacts you and requests this information, especially if they claim to be from Rally, do not respond, and do not click on any links provided. Instead, hang up and directly contact us at 800-622-3631 to verify the legitimacy of the communication.
Minimize Sharing on Social Media
While sharing updates and experiences on social media can be enjoyable, it's important to be cautious about over-sharing. Refrain from disclosing sensitive information, such as your vacation plans or when you'll be away from home. Wait until you return to post your photos and stories to avoid inadvertently alerting potential wrongdoers.
Secure Your Information Offline
Offline security is just as important as online security. Safeguard your physical documents by securely disposing of sensitive information through shredding. Also, consider using electronic statements (eStatements) rather than paper statements to prevent unauthorized access to your mailbox.
Proactive Steps for Protecting Your Account
- Update Contact Information: Keep your email address and mobile number current on your accounts to ensure prompt communication if suspicious activity is detected.
- Protect Private Information: Never share your card number, PIN, or other sensitive details in response to unsolicited communications. Rally Credit Union will never ask for such information via email, text, or phone calls.
- Set Alerts with SmartCard: Download the SmartCard app to receive real-time alerts for transactions on your accounts, helping you stay informed and take immediate action if needed.
- Choose Chip Technology: When making transactions, opt for chip technology whenever possible. This adds an extra layer of security and reduces the risk of data theft.
- Embrace Paperless Statements: Enroll in electronic statements to prevent potential fraudsters from accessing your personal and banking information via traditional mail.
- Regularly Monitor Your Accounts: Review your account statements frequently and report any suspicious activity immediately. You can also set up eAlerts for instant notifications of account transactions.
- Check Your Credit Report: Request a free copy of your credit report annually from the authorized source, www.annualcreditreport.com or by calling 1.877.322.8228. Reviewing your report can help you identify any unauthorized activity.
Understanding and Avoiding Phishing Texts
Phishing texts are a common tool used by scammers to gain access to your sensitive information. These texts often appear legitimate, but there are key red flags to watch for:
- If you don't have an account with the mentioned institution, disregard the message.
- Watch for spelling errors, unusual sender names, or unfamiliar formatting.
- Verify the link's authenticity by comparing it to the institution's official website address.
- When in doubt, contact your financial institution directly using official contact information or visit their website directly to check for any alerts or messages.
Stay Informed, Stay Safe
In the face of evolving cyber threats, staying informed is your best defense. Keep yourself updated on the latest tactics employed by scammers and share this knowledge with friends and family. By working together to raise awareness, we can collectively contribute to a safer digital environment.
Remember, your security is our priority. At Rally Credit Union, we're dedicated to helping you protect your identity, secure your accounts, and navigate the digital landscape with confidence. If you ever receive a suspicious communication, please reach out to us immediately at 800-622-3631. Stay vigilant, stay safe!